One thing that took a little bit of thought was deciding which pieces I would group together, and which pieces would need to be separate. Ultimately, it came down to which pieces would/could be swapped out or move around a lot (example: quiver, shoes, tiered shoulderpads), and which would be stable (example: straps, belt, shin guards).
Here's the result:
The huge thing that I didn't anticipate for this one was having to topologize his clothing folds to the direction of the fold (totally slipped my mind!). At first I started WAY too high poly from trying to catch every slight fold, but then I realized that I would have to reduce it, and that a TON of that detail can be faked in the normal map. The example that I've been looking at is this: http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-180.htm . It displays great break-downs of how the character was made, including maps, wireframes, high poly, low poly, and finish product. And this is the exact project that reminded me how much the normal map can fake - SO much!
Here's the progress on this guy: